Thursday 15 April 2010

2001: A Space Odyssey.

2001: A Space Odyssey.
What. A. Film.
Dare i say more?
Well i will admit, while I was watching I was feeling... well.. a bit bored. There were loooooong looooong silences, loooooong looooong camera shots and loooooong looooong space journeys. By far the best character was Hal 9000. While he was on screen the film was incredible. But like I said, I was bored. I didn't want to be I swear! I was trying to pay full attention to it... Anyway... It doesn't matter that it was boring. In the following 24 hours i realised that the film was magnificent. The more I thought about it, the better it was. Though I did think throughout the film that the soundtrack and cinematography were excellent. Afterwards, I thought that the science wasn't unrealistic (Good), the characters were spot on (Good) and that the philisophical point of the film was mind boggiling (Amazing).

Stanley Kubrick is still my favourite director and hasnn't dissapointed yet. I still have a few films of his to watch but I expect they'll live up to his standard.

If you like beauty or art, this film is for you. If you like philisophical questions and science, This film is for you. If you are like me and just like all the elements to films (plot, camera work, soundtrack, acting) then this film is for you. If you liked Epic Movie, Meet The Spartans or Disaster movie, this film probably isn't for you. If you don't want to think while watching a film, don't watch this. If you have a short attention span.. again, might not be your cup of tea. But I suggest everyone gives this film a chance; you wouldn't regret it.

Best bit? "They taught me a song. It's called Daisy. Would you like to hear it? Daisy, Daisy give meee youuurr answweerr dooooooo. I'm half crazy alllll foooooor theeeeee looovvveee offf.... youuuu....... it... wont... beeeeee... a stylish... marriage....I caaaaaaaaaaaaan't........afford... a...carridge..............................but..................you'll................... look ..............sweet..........up.....on....the......seeeeeeee-aaaaat....of....a...bi...cy..cle...made..for....two."

Also a most disappointing moment today: The lack of the line "My God it's full of stars!" The whole film I was waiting for it... Only to find out it's in the sequel.

signing off :)

No comments:

Post a Comment